Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Returning To America


As I return home from Africa, I keep thinking about how to end my blog. As I reread all the entries, I am flooded with the memories of all the events that took place. Even though I tried to write about each event, there was so much that I didn't write about. As I am talking to people about my trip, I realize there is so much more to tell. So I am not going to be ending the blog just yet, but I need some time to write about the much deeper parts of my trip.

One thing I have really noticed is how I feel upon returning. I remember the first time I returned from Africa, I was overwhelmed with the poverty of their country. It was to much to think about and comprehend. It was to overwhelming to even think about going back there. But returning from this trip has been totally different. This time upon returning I'm not overwhelmed with their poverty but overwhelmed with the American culture. I think spending a month living with a family and meeting so many people, I could see past the poverty. While I was there, I saw lives with dreams. I had many laughs and heartfelt conversations with them. I danced, sang, prayed, ate, relaxed, cooked, cleaned, went to church, went to the gas station, drove around neighborhoods.....basically I lived their life. I am finding myself already missing Tanzania.

I am becoming so aware of how wasteful I am with the resources and money I earn. We go out to eat and think nothing of spending $30 on a meal. I spend $25 a month to support Mercy. I will never forget that first hug she gave me. As I visited with her, I have never felt that $25 could be that we'll spent. I'm still recalling her aunt praying that I will be blessed with more riches. 

I look forward to revealing more about my trip in some future blogs. I also want to go back through my blog and add more pictures and videos. So please keep coming back and reading what a trip to Africa can change in a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment