Sunday, July 7, 2013

Money Raised

Now I am going full swing again, coming up with ideas on raising money. I started a Fund-Me account on the internet using Facebook to get the message out. Kayla, my daughter, came up with the idea of making tutus.

Who knew that idea would go over so well? Within days we had over a dozen orders. So the next week was crazy trying to fill all the orders. To add to the stress, after 40 years, my sewing machine quit working. I was sharing at growth group about my situation, when Robyn walks downstairs and brings me up a brand new sewing machine in a box. She said it was a gift given to her and she was never going to use it so she gave it me. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning!!! But as we finished up the project, again my faith would be tested when several of the orders were never paid for. Discouragement set in but I believed that we would be rewarded on our hard work and not to worry. A quote from Every Day A Friday, “The reason people don’t see God’s promises come to pass is because they become discouraged and give up to soon. Just because you don’t see anything happen doesn’t mean God is not working.”  As I took on this attitude, I watched the blessing flow in from people willing to donate and support me.
As May rolled around I realized, I had enough money for only two weeks of the trip. So I thought that my idea of four weeks was wrong and that I was only suppose to go for two weeks. One day, I got a message from a friend in Missouri. He asked about my financial situation and I told him everything. I said I had enough to go for two weeks. He called me the next day, and donated enough money for me to stay the full month. I was in shock! Unbelievable! I made the call and purchased the ticket for a month stay. A Joel Osteen quote, “God has explosive blessings coming your way. You won’t expect it. It’s out of the ordinary and it’s not small. It’s not mediocre. It’s widespread increase. That means it’s so amazing you know it had to be the hand of God.”
There was one final part of the trip in my heart I wanted to do. I want to travel up through Kenya to Narobi and visit our partner church. Heartland sponsors a church outside Narobi and as a congregation we sponsor over 150 children to attend the school. I personally sponsor a girl named, Mercy Wairimu.

 However, it would cost extra to add this to my trip. Considering the sponsored church is only three hours away from Arusha, it was really hard to think I couldn’t go there after traveling half way around the world to get to Africa. 
In June, I went to Missouri to help my daughter do work on her house. While there, I attended my parent’s church, Living Bread Fellowship, on Sunday. I was caught off guard when the pastor, Brian Bohrer, prayed for me in front of the whole congregation. At the end of the service, they took up an offering for my trip. Their donation, along with a contribution from my parents, gave me enough money for the visit to Narobi. As soon as I returned home, I began making the arrangement to travel to Narobi.  Even though I felt discouragement, and the road was rough, in 6 months the money was raised to cover all the expenses that I could foresee needing. I am so thankful for all the support given to me!!!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment