Monday, July 8, 2013

Plans Change

During the month of February, the trip started to change. Money became a huge obstacle and people were changing their minds about the trip. It didn't take long before all the college students, including my daughter, backed out. They felt they couldn't raise the money and give up working for the summer.Others backed out because of other commitments in July such as weddings, conferences, and family obligations. 

The biggest change happened when all but one of the teachers decided not to go. The fear of not knowing what we were actual going to do at the New Life Band school was overwhelming. So of course I started doubting that I was suppose to go. If my friends and family weren't going, I wasn't sure I should go either. 

When I was really starting to believe I should not go, I attended a service at Heartland and heard Mike Breaux's sermon on "Walk This Way." He challenged us to be walking in a new direction this year. He challenged us to remember our "one thing" for this year. Of course, right away I knew mine was going to Africa. He taught the passage from Jeremiah 6:16 "This is what The Lord says,'Stop at the crossroads and look around. Ask for the old, godly way and walk in it. Travel it's path, and you will find rest for your souls.'" In other words, STOP and before going down the same way AT THE CROSSROADS you have options, you have the power to chose. LOOK AROUND and take a look, What is your one thing, what is stopping you? ASK for the Godly way and then WALK in it.....actually do it! do the thing He is leading you to. Now for some this may have been enough to know what they were suppose to do, but not me. I couldn't imagine going to Africa with no friends, family, or teachers.

The following weekend I went to visit Kayla in St. Louis. At the very last minute on Sunday, we decided to go to a new church she was checking out. She had only attended The Gathering a few times and wanted to see what I thought. We arrive and the first thing I noticed was the bible verse on the front screen. Can you guess? Jeremiah 6:16! I couldn't believe it. I even typed it in my phone in case I was imagining it. The whole sermon was based off that verse. It was all about going to third world countries on mission trips. The pastor talked about all the things I had been wrestling with such as purpose, feeling inadequate, expectations, difference you can make, and will it matter. She even talked about how the restlessness in your heart was a good thing. I actually sat there kind a numb. I couldn't believe  she was talking about this. Then she started talking about how she was going on a mission trip soon. We typed in the place on our phones while listening to her talk and the place was Mozambique, the country right below Tanzania. Really? Coincidence?

After this I was convinced that I was going even if I was going by myself.(Thank goodness I didn't really have to tackle that plan) When I got home, I was telling my friend about the sermon. She says, "I have never seen anyone have as many "coincidences" as you. There is no doubt in my mind that you are suppose to go for some reason."

So as the people changed who were going on this trip, so did my purpose. My purpose is still to teach but more than that it is to build a relationship with the New Life Band School. I want to figure out how we can best serve them so that I can come back to the states and gather the teachers they need and make lessons that will benefit them and help their students grow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment